New Board

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

3 posters

Relatives

Ladyelaine
    Ladyelaine

Relatives Empty Relatives

Post  Ladyelaine Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:26 am

Using a pseudonym I submitted my dna to Ancestry about 4 years ago. So far I've been notified of 50,497 people with shared dna matches. 4021 of them are likely within a 3rd or 4th cousin range. No previously unknowns or surprises have shown up for me, and I have not participated in any "family trees". 

If someone has a real need to know if they have close dna matches (such as adoption or sperm bank matching - and don't want to accidently marry their 1/2 sibling) submitting their dna will sure reveal any relatives that person or any close relative of either person who also has submitted their dna on the same site. It would even reveal any grand or great grand children someone didn't know existed.

When I was last in a physical therapy class there was a 76 year old adopted man who was stressed out & complaining about being harassed by phone & mail by 5 people who had traced their dna, found each other, & found he is their long lost brother.  He never submitted his dna or searched for them. Through Ancestry they had done their research of old records & started a "family tree". They want to meet him & are planning a family reunion, offered to pay his travel expenses, etc. He wants no part of it preferring to remember the adoptive family he has known for so many years. He wants to be left alone and is afraid one of them will show up at his doorstep since he no longer accepts their phone calls. 

Some people want to know, others don't want to know at all. It boils down to a similar adage: If you don't want to know the answer, don't ask the question.
    Psycho144
    Psycho144

Relatives Empty Re: Relatives

Post  Psycho144 Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:50 am

My grandfather was off the reservation, he married grandma and then changed his name. His original name was Absher. So I have a ton of relation under that name I do not know about. My aunt sis thats what I have always called her, is the last sibling of my grandpas changed name.

Oh Well
    Have a great day and God Bless

Psycho
    Ladyelaine
    Ladyelaine

Post  Ladyelaine Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:05 am

Even when people change spellings of their last names they and their descendants are quite easily findable. You have many distinguished relatives Psycho. Notably, Brig. Gen. Donald Absher, commanding general of the Army Reserve Sustainment Command, who was recently vice-commander of Joint Enabling Capabilities Command headquartered at Naval Station in Norfolk, Virginia.
    Sunshine16
    Sunshine16

Post  Sunshine16 Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:38 pm

I joined one of those DNA sites. I found a niece who we didn't know was out there,  but once she found out how bad my brother was, she dumped him. lol. And now a great nephew signed on and we have no clue who the daddy in the family is. He has made no attempt to ask me any questions.
    Psycho144
    Psycho144

Post  Psycho144 Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:59 pm

Sounds pretty good Lady. But bragging rights is not my forte  . So I will let things fall where they may.
    I am pretty sure there are others who fall on the dire side of the family. No need to know..

You girls have a great day .
    Say safe Stay well !!!!
    God Bless

Psycho
    Sunshine16
    Sunshine16

Post  Sunshine16 Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:59 am

HOT HOT HOT!!!  Gonna feel some Elsa overnight on Thursday.

Stay cool. y'all!
    Ladyelaine
    Ladyelaine

Post  Ladyelaine Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:33 pm

This example shows how traceable DNA is even in far removed relationships.  Although I am anonymous on Ancestry my second cousin's great grandson submitted his DNA which showed a match to mine.  He chose to use his real name and submitted a message requesting that I let him know who I am in order for my name to be added to his family tree. I am amazed at the far removed match but I will not be replying to the request. 
    Psycho144
    Psycho144

Post  Psycho144 Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:38 am

"GOD"
    Knows that is all that matters 

Have a great day. God Bless

Psycho

Sunshine16 likes this post

Ladyelaine
    Ladyelaine