New Board

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

3 posters

Economy

Ladyelaine
    Ladyelaine

Economy Empty Economy

Post  Ladyelaine Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:25 pm

It seems to me that one way to both help senior citizens & stem the sell off of stocks would be to suspend the required minimum distribution from IRAs for this 2020 year for all individuals whose gross income in 2020 (including the required minimum distribution) would amount to less than $100,000. That one measure would help those whose IRAs consist mainly of stocks from their former employers converted 401s. If not required to take a distribution for just one year most would not be selling stocks they want to keep because they depend on the dividends to survive. Not only would it help those elderly but also help the companies in which they have stock. I know the government wants their taxes on these distributions and that recent legislative actions will assure they get it even quicker but if seniors could opt out for one year it would boost the stock market overall.

If there is a flaw in my above reasoning I hope someone will point it out to me. If my reasoning has merit I hope those who read here but do not post will point it out to their elected officials.
    Sunshine16
    Sunshine16

Economy Empty Re: Economy

Post  Sunshine16 Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:54 am

The only thing I really know about all that is we lost money, not as much as some but in retirement it sucks.
    Psycho144
    Psycho144

Post  Psycho144 Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:51 am

I have nothing to lose except retirement and SS no investments.
    So let er rip.

I live day to day. after working 35 yrs in a paper mill and helping to build I-75 and 3 yrs US Army.

Psycho
    Ladyelaine
    Ladyelaine

Post  Ladyelaine Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:12 am

The assets of most retirement pension funds are heavily based in stock market funds.

The required minimum withdrawals from IRAs for seniors is based on the value of the IRA on December 31 of the previous year. In a "for instance for easy figuring  extreme example" if the stocks in that IRA were valued at $100,000 on 12/31/19 but now are valued at only $50,000, and based on age that person's RMD is $10,000 for this year but the reinvested dividends amount to only $5,000 and that is all the person is able to withdraw without selling their original stock for whatever the value is now, they will have a shortfall of $5,000 and will be required to pay a 50% penalty tax of $2,500 in addition to their other taxes when they file their 2020 return.

I'm thinking if the required minimum for this one year could be suspended without having to pay a 50% penalty tax for not meeting the minimum withdrawal for this one year that it would help many seniors to withdraw only what they need to meet expenses during this national emergency without them having to sell their stocks in order to meet the required minimum withdrawal. Hopefully this could be done without altering the RMD percentage schedule, just skip the 50% penalty for this one year.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 6:43 am