New Board

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

3 posters

Duped Again

Ladyelaine
    Ladyelaine

Duped Again Empty Duped Again

Post  Ladyelaine Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:36 pm

I'm going to start taking my magnifying glass with me when grocery shopping. I bought some cashew nuts this week. The package front label had an American flag along with the statement "Proud American Company". When I taste tested some today I found them to be lessor in quality than my usual purchases. Upon close inspection of the fine print on the back and mixed in with the lettering for "Best by: Dec 05 2019 on the 1st line and a bunch of numbers on the 3rd line, were the words "packed in Viet Nam". Elsewhere on the rear label in small print "cashews from: Viet Nam, Brazil, India, & Indonesia".  Below that the name of the "Proud American Company" in Jersey City, New Jersey.
    sinister_midget
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Duped Again Empty Re: Duped Again

Post  sinister_midget Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:47 pm

Yes. They love to import things to American soil and pretend that means it's an American product.

A few years ago a guy I worked with bought a Dodge Ram. He wanted to rub my nose in my "foreign-made" Toyota Tundra. He searched and discovered (no surprise to me) that my Tundra had more American-made parts (actually manufactured, not imported) than his "American-made" Ram. Also I pointed to the information on the inside of the door. A quick search showed it was made in Montana.

Most cars and trucks that aren't imported are no longer made in America. They're imported as parts and assembled in America. A few spot welds and a couple of nuts cranked is the new Made in America. It's a foreign product masquerading as domestic.

An awful lot of food is imported. No matter what the package front says. Stuff may not even be clearly marked as imported. Usually the giveaway is "distributed by" this company or that.
    Sunshine16
    Sunshine16

Post  Sunshine16 Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:18 am

I saw an ad for HGTV...win $100,000 makeover in your house. Sounds like a trusted place since I always entered the new house one. All I did was enter that contest and immediately got an online bill for signing up to their $20 a year magazine. Not doing it. I have to wait till they send me a notice with an account number in order to stop it. grrr
    sinister_midget
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:13 am

If they didn't bother asking you, no need to bother responding.

I get "bills" like that sometimes. I throw them out. Never had a problem doing it that way.

My wife signed up for something 3 years ago. Then she started getting magazines (with her name wrong) for stuff she didn't want from people she never ordered from. They sent bills to pay for the unwanted materials. To make sure she didn't sign up for them through fine print, I went to sign up for the same thing she originally did. I read every single word on every page and there was nothing there about magazines. I killed the order at the last step before it would have been final, and at no point was there anything about magazines or other offers of anything except "special offer" emails they all push. So she tossed the bills. The bills stopped. The magazines didn't. A year later they sent more bills to "renew" what she didn't pay for the last time. She tossed the bills. The bills stopped. One of the magazines stopped in about 2 months. The other one kept coming for about 8-9 more months. Then it stopped, too.

My suspicion is the magazines started out of thin air, totally unrelated to what she subscribed to. But that was the only action that transpired before the magazines started arriving. Either way, she didn't order them. Not even accidentally. So she wasn't obligated to pay for them.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 9:52 pm