New Board

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

2 posters

Printers

Ladyelaine
    Ladyelaine

Printers Empty Printers

Post  Ladyelaine Sun May 27, 2018 4:48 pm

I'm shopping for a new printer/copier and know the differences in laser & inkjet printers and supposedly that monochrome printers only print in shades of black & color printers print both black & color. 
    What does it mean when an inkjet printer is listed as monochrome but comes with both a color and black ink cartridge? If it prints both why is it classified as a monochrome printer?
    sinister_midget
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Printers Empty Re: Printers

Post  sinister_midget Sun May 27, 2018 7:17 pm

That sounds like a misprint. No way is it monochrome if it has color ink. They could mean monochrome and color. Or it could be printed wrong. Or it could be their way of saying it doesn't use color cartridges to print black like most inkjets do.

If you're looking online, be careful. I see ads like that a lot. They say, in bold, something I want. I read the info and it says it's something else, omits whether or not it does what the headline says, says something totally different about a feature in the text, etc. I'd imagine that happens because somebody sells two or more different types of an item, write one ad and edit it for the other items instead of writing a new one. Something that should have been changed gets missed and there's a discrepancy. I find that sort of thing most often on Amazon, for example. When reading the ratings people give them (I always look at 1-star ratings first) I'll often see that the thing I wanted that's in the headline isn't really part of the product.
    Ladyelaine
    Ladyelaine

Post  Ladyelaine Mon May 28, 2018 11:16 am

Thanks for the comments. I'm finding mis-information to be a common occurrence. Hooking up a printer used to be simple. Most no longer come with an installation CD and virtually none have instruction booklets. Talking to a tech in a foreign country is a pain in the anatomy. They have canned script for unrelated matters & their accents cause language barriers that make matters worse yet.
    sinister_midget
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget Mon May 28, 2018 1:45 pm

One of the many reasons I like linux.

Most printers hook up and work. The end. Some require a download or something. I happen to have 2 that did before (a Dell color laser and a Brother laser), but after this last reinstall it looks like those are now built into the system, too. (Amazingly, one used to need a driver installed on my wife's Mac and there was no way to make the other one work. After she did an upgrade of her system both work fine with no additional effort.) Anyway, in the handful of cases I needed a different driver I found what worked pretty easy, got a good download link and had them working in no time.

The downside of linux is that some printers and other hardware won't work, no way no how. And some that does may work with one distribution following the install methods and fail on other distributions. Both of those are pretty rare and almost always involve something that hasn't been out very long. Another downside that I actually count as an upside: calls to tech support aren't needed because even if they did know what they were talking about they almost never have any idea about linux.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:07 am