New Board

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

3 posters

I don't get it!

sinister_midget
    sinister_midget
    Admin

I don't get it! Empty I don't get it!

Post  sinister_midget Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:04 pm

It's (ostensibly) day 21 of the Schumer Shutdown. I woke up and my heart was still beating. My legs still worked and carried me to the bathroom to do my business there. I could still hear when my wife said something about junk stores (junk is my word, not hers) and antique places here in Alamogordo. The TV in the motel still lights up and makes noise. The maid came and went. We went to a laundromat, a few thrift stores, Burger King (she wanted Burger King and I wanted Del Taco, so we "compromised"). All of the traffic lights were working. We were still charged tax on purchases. We went to Las Cruces, and the Border Patrol people were working at the checkpoint along the highway just like all of the other times we returned from there.

So I turn on the TV and hear Congress has gone home for the weekend already. I knew they usually did that, quitting on Thursday most weeks, but I forgot about it until I heard it. Yesterday they said the shutdown that I don't even see is a crisis that needs to be fixed, but the President refuses to accept their unconditional demands to get everything they want ("compromise" being defined in their usual fashion: you give us everything we want, we'll let you take 100% of the blame when it goes sour). So I take their absence to mean there's no crisis.

Yet on TV they keep calling it one. CSPAN 2 had Tim Kaine on earlier (probably old footage at least a day old) calling it one and blaming Trump and Republicans for it.

So what am I missing? Is it still going on? I can't tell other than media claiming it is. Because everything around me is doing what it always does. (This time of year White Sands tourist park is usually closed anyway.) They're still taking my taxes. I still hear noisy DemocRATs who stand no chance of even getting the nomination announcing they're running for the presidency so they can get a lot of donations to spend on themselves for vacations and bigger houses and summer homes and so forth. They're still wasting money to prove collusion with the Russians by somebody who didn't collude while ignoring all of the people who did (including Mueller).

So is it on? Or did my calendar also jump ahead 3 months to April 1 when I changed time zones and they're pulling my leg?
    Ladyelaine
    Ladyelaine

I don't get it! Empty Re: I don't get it!

Post  Ladyelaine Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:41 am

If necessary departments are open and only non-necessary departments are closed, why not shut down and phase out funding to all "luxury" non-necessary departments? Employees of those non-needed services knew layoffs were a possibility when they took those jobs.  Question All too many expensive political plums are funded by taxpayer money and need to be swept out of the nation's budget.
    Psycho144
    Psycho144

Post  Psycho144 Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:05 pm

"AMEN"
    sinister_midget
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:43 pm

If it was I was president, I'd give every non-essential person in the Executive branch severance and send them on their way.

Then as soon as SanFranNan and Chuckie are through spending taxpayer funds traveling for vacations while whining about the shutdown they're causing, and they finally get back to DC, I'd call both of them, McConnell and Jim Jordan to the White House for a briefing. I'd inform them there's now a new demand: cut 20% of every non-essential person who hasn't been working for twenty-some days or I won't sign any spending bills to reopen things. And my wall is up to $15 billion. I'd immediately go public to announce what I told them, and when they melt down warn them privately that the next demand will be 50% non-essential and  $30 billion for the wall, and it'll keep escalating ad necessary. Remind everyone in the country that we wouldn't be here if they would have approved $5 billion for the wall to begin with like they were asked. Like they did before. Like they did times 5 that amount when Bush was leaving and Obama was usurping the presidency.

They have a choice: retain as much big government as they can or hold out until they lose it all.

I'm all for the Lisa Douglas - Mr Haney style of negotiating when faced with those who are stubborn just for the sake of being stubborn.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:33 am