New Board

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

2 posters

Snake

Ladyelaine
    Ladyelaine

Snake Empty Snake

Post  Ladyelaine Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:24 pm

Just pulled a 3 ft long gray rat snake out of my outdoor heat pump condenser - saw the tip of the tail hanging out. It didn't want to let go but I finally managed to wrap it around my hoe handle and pull the whole thing out, then pulverized it. Must have been trying to find a warm place and I didn't want it to consider that as a winter den.
    sinister_midget
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Snake Empty Re: Snake

Post  sinister_midget Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:11 pm

Snakes are the only critter I may have to worry about when I move to NM. Probably not, since I'll be living in a populated area. But you never know.

When I was stationed there I worked at a radio receiver site and also took care of transmitters up the road. Both had cable troughs under the floor. Since cable ran outside to power and antennas, it wasn't possible to seal it off. Rattlers got down in those things all of the time. Usually chasing rabbits that went in there to get out of the heat, live there, whatever. I never saw any come up, but we were warned all of the time about them being there in case we had to get to the cables under the floor. Or in case one decided to pop up through one of the hundreds of cable holes in the flooring. Fortunately the cables were pretty hefty and even animals that liked to chew on the sort of thing would take years to do much damage. Still, there were probably rattlesnakes under the floors all of the time I was in those buildings. The receiver site was our fulltime workplace when we weren't at the transmitter site or one of the aircraft controller sites. That included having to be there alone (with snakes) any time we were called in on standby. Which happened almost every night by the control tower.

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:15 am