New Board

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

3 posters

The trend these days seems to be to chase customers away

sinister_midget
    sinister_midget
    Admin

The trend these days seems to be to chase customers away Empty The trend these days seems to be to chase customers away

Post  sinister_midget Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:47 pm

Why Gillette's lunge to political correctness will bomb

Gillette's new ad, browbeating men through a #MeToo and "toxic masculinity" pitch, supposedly to persuade men to buy their razors, is so revolting it's possible to think it's satire.

There is also a 30-second version, which doesn't even seem to be about selling razors:

Seriously, did a spy from Schick get into the Procter & Gamble advertising agency and concoct an ad sure to turn potential customers off?

Who would want to buy those razors after such a string of insults?  Isn't ad rule number one to not insult the customer?  Well, this one does.

As Jim Treacher observes (Hat tip: Instapundit), the message can be summed up as follows: "Gillette Tells Men They’re Repulsive Creeps. Now Give Them Your Money, You Piece of Garbage."

He writes:

Are you a man?  That is to say, are you a genetic male who also happens to identify as a "man," for some increasingly antiquated reason?  If so, are you under the mistaken impression that you're not a rapist?

Our society has come a long way in shaming men for behaving in any way that anybody anywhere doesn't like, and reminding men that we're all complicit even if we don't behave that way.  But it's not nearly enough.  The mere fact of maleness is shameful and problematic.  Men and boys everywhere need to be reminded that we're evil.  We must learn to hate ourselves as much as everyone else hates us.  The patriarchy must be castrated.

And who better to do it than a company that makes razors?

Because yes, under the cover of selling a consumer product, they're lobbing a heaping helping of political correctness around #MeToo and literally using words such as "toxic masculinity," while slyly doing the usual ad-man for man-ads thing of slipping in bikini shots of women.  Buy Gillette razors and get the bikini chicks, see?

The trend these days seems to be to chase customers away 211518_5_
    Gillette ad via YouTube, screen grab.

It doesn't get more have-your-cake-and-eat-it, too, than this.

If you listen to this ad a lot (so much of it is offensive left-wing buzzwords that its shock value distracts even from the message they are trying to convey), you can surmise that what Gillette is trying to "message" is that clean-shaven, Gillette-using men stop bad sexist men and boys from going sex-harassing, which is what they will otherwise do.

Maybe they're trying to say Gillette razor-buyers are gentlemen and good dads.  But not exactly.  They're saying that buying into the "toxic masculinity" narrative of the left is somehow hip, something everyone does.  And Gillette razors offer some kind of protection from #MeToo accusers.

That's a stretch.

The ad features dozens of creepy news clips from hectoring television commentators intoning about #MeToo and other garbage, blaming all men for the behavior of some men. Those men who got into hot enough water to trigger the #MeToo movement weren't normal men, but elite men, the hypocritical ones who gave cash to Planned Parenthood and Democratic causes, while denouncing average American men as 'deplorables.' Democratic Party bigfoot donor Harvey Weinstein and other leftist elites, in the media, Hollywood, the arts, academia, and politics, all places where leftist rule unchecked and whose political monolith was a perfect petri dish for bad behavior were the #MeToo triggers who eventually got exposed and lost jobs.  But Gillette isn't pointing the finger at those guys, it's pointing the finger at its own potential buyers, normal men, and does it in a hammering, browbeating, nonstop news way that is exactly what turns customers off.

Why it happened is quite possibly due to something observed by Stacy McCain, who writes:

You see that what happens on campus doesn't stay on campus.  It is easy to point and laugh at the perverse madness in elite academia, but the fact is that these universities are attended by the kind of people who eventually become executives controlling major advertising agencies.  So after decades of Ivy League professors indoctrinating students with radical feminism and other extremist beliefs, now we find a division of a major corporate behemoth like Proctor & Gamble spending millions of dollars on advertising that insults men by accusing them of being perpetrators of rape, harassment, misogyny and "toxic masculinity."

By the way, the Gillette ads specifically demonize white males.

Now, maybe Gillette is trying to shake up things and get its ad talked about based on the recent success of Nike with its far-left, insult-the-flag-and-glorify-the-insulter Colin Kaepernik ads, which, to the surprise of a lot of us, succeeded.  Nike did so because the company decided that it wanted only very young customers who are fans of Kaepernik, and anyone one else who was offended, tough cookies.  The young, after all, are the trendsetters.  Get the trendsetters, and everyone else will fall in line, so the thinking goes, and yes they got away with it.

Now we have this insult-all-men ad from Gillette, suggesting at best that Gillette wants the business of only the very young.

Razors, which are used by most men, might not be such a trend-sensitive thing.

That's why I think this won't have the Nike-style result they think it will have, because right now, those very hipsters whose business they want aren't even shaving - they're sporting beards.  That's the trend.  Stephen Green, commenting on McCain's post, has the lowdown from Denver.

Stephen Green remarks: "Don't the marketing whizzes at Gillette know that the woke bros are all sporting ironic lumberjack beards these days?"

Don't expect this to improve Gillette's sales, but don't expect the executives who approved this idiocy to admit their error, either.

All of the fashion reports also say beards are hot.

What's more, a recent study found that women are finding men with beards much sexier, which is another bad trend for Gillette – see here. Ted Cruz, of course, got lots of kudos for his new beard, something that scared the left.

And according to this study, the reason it's a thing is that the pool of marriageable women is shrinking.  According to the research, when that happens, men grow beards as markers in large (urban, anonymous) groups to make themselves more attractive to women.  It's a natural response – see here.

There was also a study, years ago, and I regret I can't find it, which found that young men typically grew beards as a natural response to being in a henpecked environment.  They grew beards because it is one of the rare things the oppressive women around them couldn't do.  It's probably correct, and this other research, about why Victorian men of science grew beards would tend to support it. Men, at that time, had been seen as "un-manly" according to this piece, and responded in the normal way.  And it sure as heck would explain Green's observations about the Denver (and Brooklyn and Seattle and San Francisco) hipsters and their inclination toward beards now (it's actually a trend about three years in the making and coincides with feminist hate coming to dominate the culture).

Here's another problem for the company: It's in a "sleepy" market that's being rammed and shaken up by upstart and very hip competitors, such as Harry's and [url=https://www.theartofshaving.com/?utm_term=the art of]The Art of Shaving[/url], which make shaving look cool, with finely groomed semi-Victorian beards as part of the advertising.  Harry's is all over Target and displayed in fancier boutique island settings with lots of atmospherics, quite unlike the retailer's other products.

So how to explain why Gillette won't get away with this idiocy as Nike did?

Normally, companies that are up against trends look to adapt: Coca-Cola, for instance, adapted to consumer trends against sugary drinks by going into the bottled water business as a sideline and ramped up its diet offerings to remain profitable.

In Guanajuato, Mexico, a Mexican friend explained to me that when Walmart came to the area as the result of NAFTA and brought in cheap birthday cakes, the local bakeries adapted to that by featuring gourmet birthday cakes, staying in business.  It happens everywhere.

Gillette is choosing to skip the natural way companies adapt to unfriendly trends and challenging the actual culture instead.

I don't know of any examples of where that has worked.  And with Gillette now in a ferociously competitive environment, the ad insulting their buyers as just predators unless they use Gillette razors does not actually offer protection from #MeToo accusers – it just makes customers want to buy from other suppliers.

That's the trend these days. Insult the people who keep you afloat to gather business from the people who won't buy from you anyway.

In the case of Starbucks and Dick's it hurt. A lot. It didn't hurt Nike, but that's because they were playing to Chinese and Arab markets. But even that game isn't completely played out yet, and it may come back to haunt Nike. (I'm betting their belief is it will all be forgotten in the west when the other markets stop supporting them.)

In this instance, a lot of people are calling for a wholesale boycott of P&G. (Something I've been doing for about 10 years and can't even remember why I started - but I'll keep it going because I can assure you it was started for a good reason, whatever it was.) That's a lot more stuff than just Gillette products.

The trend these days seems to be to chase customers away Gillette1     The trend these days seems to be to chase customers away Gillette2

The trend these days seems to be to chase customers away Gillette3                                                The trend these days seems to be to chase customers away Gillette4
    Ladyelaine
    Ladyelaine

The trend these days seems to be to chase customers away Empty Re: The trend these days seems to be to chase customers away

Post  Ladyelaine Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:21 am

It doesn't appear to me as though the ad is trying to sell razors to men; instead, an attempt at a degree of social reform, something along the lines of a kinder & more considerate nation starting with individuals. 

My husband spent the last 8 months of his life in hospitals & nursing homes and I traveled there every day to shave his face and neck for him because he felt so much better clean shaven. Other than during hunting season, none of our sons has ever grown a beard. I can understand the value of having a beard in cold weather but it seems to me a person would feel cooler without it in hot weather. 

Women use razors too. As a woman I am not offended by the ad. Also as a woman, I've never thought men with beards are more attractive than clean shaven men; as a matter of fact, the exact opposite. 

Concerning a lot of things that women do these days, perhaps some company will dare to air a social reform message aimed at those things that have contributed to the breakdown of morals in of our society. Such a message would undoubtedly also offend a lot of them who don't realize that most men will act like  gentlemen in the presence of women whose dress & demeanor reflect ladylike qualities.
    Psycho144
    Psycho144

The trend these days seems to be to chase customers away Empty Re: The trend these days seems to be to chase customers away

Post  Psycho144 Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:37 am

I got out of the Army June 1960 haven't bought a razor since, before I got married I shaved and told my future wife take a good look because this is the last time you will see myself shaved.

Psycho
    sinister_midget
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:39 am

Surprise: Genius behind man-hating Gillette ad is a radical feminist

In recent days, many online essays have rightly ripped apart Gillette's ugly new "We Believe" advertisement.  One online critic dubbed it "feel-bad liberalism."

Carpentered by Grey Advertising for Proctor and Gamble's razors company, it does not detail product attributes, encourage brand loyalty, instill warm feelings in buyers, or even show basic respect for consumers.  Instead, the grimly lecturing spot declares masculinity itself toxic, a peril to decent society.

"Is this the best a man can get?  Is it?" asks the painfully serious narrator, as a wrongdoing slideshow passes by.  "We can't hide from it.  It's been going on far too long.  We can't laugh it off, making the same old excuses."

"I guess the guy at the ad agency missed the lesson about not taking a dump on the people you want to buy your stuff," cracked comedian Steven Crowder.

"The guy at the ad agency" is actually philosophically unpleasant feminist Kim Gehrig.  Hiring her to court the male market is like expecting to accrue impressive rainbow flag sale numbers with spiels from Farrakhan. 

Jezebel reported an email message Gehrig sent CNBC: "At the end of the day, sparking conversation is what matters.  This gets people to pay attention to the topic and encourages them to consider taking action to make a difference."

She'd previously made the bizarre "Viva La Vulva" spot for Swedish feminine hygiene company Libresse.  In that surreal ad, objects that included a conch shell, sliced orange, papaya, and coin purse stood in as ersatz female intimate parts.  For the ad's nearly three-minute duration, these items were manipulated as unnatural "singers" of Camille Yarbrough's "Take Yo Praise." 

Gehrig's new Gillette effort states her bias boldly by intercutting allusions to abusive acts with images of romantic heterosexuality.

A black-and-white cartoon scene that flashes past shows men whistling at a woman.  In another scant bit, a guy sees a pretty female pedestrian.  He steps after her but is restrained by a companion.  "Not cool," the restrainer admonishes.

Expressions of attraction and related pursuits are natural.  They lead to humans reproducing – which is how Gehrig got here, though she might be horrified to learn that.

Adweek pronounced Gehrig's group libel the "Ad of the Week."  Gehrig's efforts were also recognized by Best Ads on TV. 

Therein lies an issue worth note.  Fox News host Greg Gutfeld tweeted: "the only ones lauding the Gillette ad work in media/advertising. everyone else sees it for what it is: a smarmy, condescending virtue signal aimed at the hardworking decent men they have been price-gouging for years."

At this writing, Gillette's YouTube posting of "We Believe" has received 40,000 "thumbs down" votes and only 4,300 positive ratings.  Even when possible manipulations have been allowed for, that ratio does not bode well for the company.

Gillette executives may have hoped their brand would realize market uplift from public mind association with trendy messaging.  That may also once have been the wish of suits at Dodge, the NFL, Target, Lynx, Nike, PepsiCo, and Dick's Sporting Goods.  They all suffered as a consequence of catering to P.C. prejudices.

The greatest ultimate harm caused by Gehrig's Gillette advertising maliciousness may be this: irresponsible,"woke" parents bludgeoning their young sons with her message that just being a boy is unhealthy, a wrong for which they should forever hang their heads.

Poor kids.

I'm not offended by the ad. But I do think it's idiotic to aim an ad about your product primarily at the people who buy it most in a condescending and insulting manner. It's doesn't help to scold your customers. Period.

I don't know if it's true, but I read earlier that an entirely different segment of people (transsexuals) are even more outraged by this. Don't ask me why since I only read a little about it with no details. But if that's true it's even worse for Gillette/P&G.

Polls show the trending fad is that more and more women are attracted to men with beards, so that would lead to a diminishing audience anyway. But trans males (pretend women) are more likely to want to shave most or all body hair off. So they'd be a bigger customer base. Wouldn't be helpful to chase them away.

Supposedly Harry's Shave Club had a monstrous uptick in new customers. Some I've read say they're glad this happened because they found out they can get shaving gear much less than what they were paying Gillette for, and it's delivered. Schick is supposedly making the best of this dumb move, too. But I forget the details.

As for me, I still use the old safety razor (double-edge kind). I buy my blades really cheap (I forget, but I think it was something like 80 blades for 5 bucks or something). And I use a trick I learned from Clark Howard: shave, dry the blade and the razor, and leave it slightly open to get rid of the last little bit of moisture you may have missed. It makes the blade last a lot longer, and I think my shaving needs (counting soap since I use a mug) cost me a little over a dollar or buck and a half a year.
    sinister_midget
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:18 pm

The trend these days seems to be to chase customers away Razor

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:21 am