New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

Poor things!

sinister_midget
    Admin

Poor things!

Post  sinister_midget on Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:39 pm

Pain for Parkland students after pro-gun candidates win: 'I'm shaking with anger'

Election night brought new sadness and frustration to Parkland, Florida, where a school shooting in February left 17 people dead.

Gun control made some advances nationwide. Democrats, who have embraced gun control as a winning campaign issue, took control of the House of Representatives, where only two years ago, lawmakers held a sit-in on the House floor because Republican leaders refused even to allow a vote on stricter gun laws.

But many of the new ones winning claimed to support gun ownership. As a party what is said is true. As individual winners not so much.

Some Republicans backed by the National Rifle Association (NRA) lost their races, including in Virginia, Texas and Colorado, where a gun control advocate defeated the NRA-endorsed incumbent who had represented Columbine and Aurora, the sites of two of America’s deadliest mass shootings.

What do Columbine and Aurora have to do with the incumbent losing? Besides nothing, I mean.

Why did he lose? Maybe this had something to do with it:

The Republican nominee faced intense backlash even before President Trump took office, with constituents showing up in droves at his town halls to urge him to protect Obamacare.

So, the guy was already weakened. Maybe his stance on 2A was a big deal, and maybe not.

But it doesn't matter. For the purposes of this swill his stance was what killed him off because people apparently loved him for everything else.

Continuing.....

But in Florida, less than nine months after one of the country’s deadliest school shootings, and just days after a mass shooting at a yoga studio in the state’s capital, voters selected pro-gun candidates in the state’s two major races, for governor and for US Senate.

After months of nonstop campaigning to vote out the politicians blocking gun laws, the students who survived the Marjory Stoneman Douglas shooting this February, and the parents of their classmates who were killed, will be living in a state with an NRA-endorsed governor and two senators with a long history of NRA support.

“I’m shaking with anger right now,” Jacyln Corin, a high school senior who helped found the March for Our Lives student movement, told a room of fellow activists at an election watch party in Parkland on Tuesday night. “It’s like the same feeling I was getting the night of 14 February, so angry that I don’t know what to do with that anger.”

“We’re not going to stop fighting,” she promised, looking at the father of Joaquin Oliver, the 17-year-old murdered at their school. “I can tell you, I’m doing this for the rest of my life.”

Even before the election results came in, the March for Our Lives student activists, a small group of Parkland students who organized a rally for gun control this spring that drew hundreds of thousands of people to Washington DC, as well as to an estimated 800 sister rallies around the world, were already planning their next steps: lobbying for stricter gun laws in state legislatures, training young people to run for office themselves, and preparing for the 2020 campaign.

“It just proves we have a lot further to go,” David Hogg, another student leader of March for Our Lives who graduated from Marjory Stoneman Douglas last year and delayed starting college in order to campaign full-time, said earlier, before the full results were in. “This is going to be a long uphill battle.”

I see. Pigg didn't go to college voluntarily because confiscating guns is too important.

Then what was this about?

David Hogg is asked about colleges rejecting his applications; he’s too big for them, anyway

He's "too big" for them? So they rejected him?

It seems that being the face and voice of a national anti gun movement doesn’t resonate with some college admissions offices.

Some survivors of the Parkland, Florida school shooting have apparently been rejected by their colleges of choice despite the fact that, as David Hogg believes, they are “changing the world.”

The 17-year-old, who survived the massacre at his high school last month that left 17 people dead, has been at the forefront of the anti-gun violence movement that culminated in a “March For Our Lives” protest in Washington, D.C. last weekend.

But a 4.2 GPA and an SAT score of 1270 were apparently not the only part of his application considered by four University of California campuses – UCLA, UCSD, UCSB and UC Irvine – which turned him down, according to TMZ.

"Too big" for some big name colleges. I get it.

OK, where're you gonna go, Swine?

Poor little kids are upset they didn't get to trample on the rights of others, and that others are allowed to have a different opinion. And, of course, the media is already telling them they've been deprived.

Countdown to their tantrums. 

Current date/time is Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:48 pm