New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

Michael Report

Ladyelaine

Michael Report

Post  Ladyelaine on Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:44 am

Heavy band of rain has started downpour here in Suwannee Valley area just before 11:30  AM EDT. 
    Local radar showed a long lasting  extensive amount containing indications of areas of rotation and heavy lightning headed this way, then I lost signals from all 5 satellites. I'll turn off breakers to my water heater, range, dryer, & heat pump as precautions. 
    Ladyelaine

Re: Michael Report

Post  Ladyelaine on Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:50 pm

Momentarily beautiful sunshine after the rain, but very breezy now @ 3:45 PM. Satellite signals are back for the time being. If I could have anticipated this short break in the weather I would have headed into town for supplies, but radar indicates I'd better not give it a try now. Another deluge might wash out the road before I could get back. 

Twice today my phone rang & I didn't answer the unrecognized caller ID listing of ECN Community, didn't realize that is a code red alert message from emergency management using a national alert system phone number of 855-969-4636. I called that number back and was able to listen to the last local alert that had been sent to me.
    Ladyelaine

Post  Ladyelaine on Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:10 pm

Cat 3 @ 5 PM, now forecast likely to reach Cat 4 before landfall. Forecast to be the most devastating and largest hurricane ever known to have hit in the likely area of impact.
    Sunshine16

Post  Sunshine16 on Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:44 am

Be safe!
    Ladyelaine

Post  Ladyelaine on Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:59 am

Since it escalated to cat 4 with possibility of becoming a 5 before landfall, I've been under an increased watch for tornadoes which will be ongoing all day long. I've gotten 1 3/10" of sprinkling rain so far and the eastern outer band of heavy rain will start in a few minutes. Local radar indicates that edge is now on a line from about Live Oak northward parallel along I-75 to the Georgia line. The wind is picking up here now but no lightning thus far.
    Ladyelaine

Post  Ladyelaine on Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:57 am

Latest hunter plane report says sustained winds have increased to 150 or higher. Heavy rain bands have already extended northward into Georgia and storm is now moving in NNE direction instead of just northward.
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:26 pm

The path looks like it's going almost right over your head! Here's hoping it diverts more leftward real quick!

Ladyelaine

Post  Ladyelaine on Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:36 pm

It is now 6:30 PM EDT. Power has blinked on & off all afternoon and few times was off for less than a minute. I'm now under tropical storm warning along with a tornado watch until at least 2 AM.
    My son who lives in Georgia is now under hurricane warning & heavy flooding warning, along with high potential tornado watch until at least 2 AM.

At least it is moving along rapidly and not lingering.
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:01 pm

Ladyelaine

Post  Ladyelaine on Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:25 am

In comparison to the major damage from the hurricane that came through here last fall, this area received only minor problems from Michael. I have a yard full of tree moss, limbs & leaves, but so far no trees have uprooted. No massive long term power outages, or thousands of trees coming down, or long term road blockages or washed out this time. This area was spared and we give thanks to our Lord for keeping us safe. It is horrifying to realize the damages, terror and suffering people west of here have sustained. We will count our blessings and keep them in our prayers for their recovery.
    Sunshine16

Post  Sunshine16 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:47 pm

Michael is about to hit any minute here...already have flooding west of us.  Just had one of the new emergency alerts pop up on TV for severe storm on the way.....gonna rain hard.

Mexico City looks like a bomb dropped...whole houses are just gone. Horrific  video of it on FOX.

So glad your damage is minimum and you are safe lady!
    Ladyelaine

Post  Ladyelaine on Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:00 pm

Thank you Sunshine. I'm keeping you in my prayers too - watching the radar from your area with many tornado warnings and heavy rain, hoping your mother is now in a safe place too. 
    Sunshine16

Post  Sunshine16 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:29 pm

Thanks lady...mom is back to her nursing home in Newport ,NC...crabby as her old self ever was. lol
    My sister has lots of repairs to her home from Flo, but had no flooding.
    Michael is starting up here and we are under warnings for flood, storms and tornadoes. Got a cool photo of his arrival.
    Sunshine16

Post  Sunshine16 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:37 pm

In the big circles...
    Ladyelaine

Post  Ladyelaine on Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:46 pm

That storm arrival photo is truly awesome. The sheer number of radar indicated wind rotations is fearsome. Take care.
    Sunshine16

Post  Sunshine16 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:08 pm

Weird...I posted photos but can't find them anywhere...hmmm...we already have an inch of rain since I posted that.
    Sunshine16

Post  Sunshine16 on Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:39 am

We got 4.2 inches of rain...more than we got from Flo....but 15 inches in 3 weeks. That is 6 months worth for our area normally. Very windy today and feels crispy cool.
    Ladyelaine

Post  Ladyelaine on Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:09 am

Your photos are still visible to me Sunshine. 

I shudder when thinking of the eventual total body count from this storm. At this time reports have found 11 dead but hundreds are missing with their fate unknown, perhaps will never be known. I wondered about where or even if the homeless were able to find shelter and how many of them even knew a storm was approaching. Now there are many more people who have no home left ,and those who no longer have a job to go to, no money, no supplies, and so much more agonizing situations to endure. Thinking of all that makes me feel like my very soul is weeping for them.
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:06 pm

I'm just glad I'm going where I'm going (I still hope I am, anyway). No hurricanes. Tornadoes are rare (only 14 total since 1959 in that area), and the average for the whole state is 0 fatalities per storm. Even the wildfires are way off from the area I'm going to. Where I'm going is subject to partial flooding in the spring when snow melts in the mountains. But the way to beat that is not to live where all of the arroyos run, or within a few blocks of them in the worst areas. Dust storms are about it. And I don't think that's a big problem in town. Even out in the open on the base I worked at the problem was usually short-lived and wasn't really that severe when it happened. (Unless you were 50 or more feet in the air on top of something with no guard rails like happened to me one time in 1984.) Dust storms, and water is terrible. But you can work around the water. Oh, and maybe rattlesnakes if you live more than a couple of miles out of town. And the crickets are known to bite.

As much as I really would like to live somewhere near the Florida panhandle and Gulf coast (including possibly Mississippi or Alabama), I think what you folks are going through is more than enough to keep me away.

Sunshine16

Post  Sunshine16 on Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:20 pm

I could never live in FL...too hot and sand fleas...and hurricanes. I'm happy where I am..we get the leftover hurricanes remnants. 5 de3ad in VA and one missing...so far. I can't imagine there would not be a lot more dead in FL by the time they account for everyone.
    Psycho144

Post  Psycho144 on Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:08 pm

In Ohio we read about all that stuff. And pray for those that have tom endure.

Psycho
    Sunshine16

Post  Sunshine16 on Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:14 am

The devestion is so horrible...I wonder if it will end up worse than Katrina. If we survived one of those storms, you betcha we would walk away from those areas and never go back. How do people rebuild and not fear the next storm?  My sister in NC had damage but not so bad she can't stay in her house. I keep telling her to fix it up, take a loss and get out. The house is paid for...just sell it cheap and bank the money. But they won't.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:09 pm