New Board

For refugees from MyWay and Tek Board II, and for anyone else wishing to participate.

Storm

Ladyelaine

Storm

Post  Ladyelaine on Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:17 pm

Hurricane Michael is no where near here yet but this area, Suwannee Valley in Florida big bend, is under hurricane watch, torrential rain & flash flooding forecast with heavy damage to houses, trees, power lines & fences, & high probability of tornadoes through Thursday.

I tried to get to Walmart for supplies, encountered sudden heavy wind & torrential rain, (neither was forecast for today) could scarcely see to drive & traffic was heavy, no place to park in entire Walmart parking lot, made it home safely but with no supplies, found tree branch about 20 ft long broken off & blown across my driveway & 2 trees down. My power is still on so while my pump is working I'll fill my water jugs and eat food from my freezer & frig. Last hurricane I lost about $200 worth of frozen food, a big mess to clean up & a yard & driveway full of downed trees. Two of my sons also lost a couple hundred dollars worth of food each due to power outages. I couldn't (& can't)crank my generator & they couldn't get fuel for theirs.

I do have enough emergency food that I can eat straight out of the can/package without having to heat it, but sure would miss some hot coffee and warm bathing water. I'm thinking this will be a bad storm for some people, unless a miracle dissipates it. At least it is forecast to move swiftly through and not linger.

If I'm off the board for a week or so it will likely be due to a power outage and not because I've absented my self. 
    Sunshine16

Re: Storm

Post  Sunshine16 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:42 am

Good luck!!! Stay safe. My sister  and  mom took a direct hit from Flo living less than 5 minutes from the coast in NC. Mom was relocated inland to a nursing home in nw NC but returned last Friday...here we go again. My yard took a hit...I had the most beautiful lawn in VA but now I have yet to be able to cut it without leaving tracks in soft soil. We were 97% saturated before she arrived here. I have a landscaper scheduled last week of Oct to fix it but now it will be too soggy again. We have nasty red clay and water sits in and on it for weeks sometimes.
    Psycho144

Post  Psycho144 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:01 am

Good luck and stay safe Lady.
    My son is in Jupitor right now but it is not expected to be bad there.
    My prayers are with you.

Psycho
    Ladyelaine

Post  Ladyelaine on Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:29 am

Michael is forecast to be a cat 3 before tonight. I think the safest place in my house will be with my recliner chair backed up against my steel entrance door. I have many windows in every room including west & south walls in that room but anywhere else has the potential for huge oak trees uprooting and falling on the house. I have no way to board up the windows, no place to evacuate to, closest relative is 100 miles away & they are also in the likely path, and no shelters available for me in this area. The weather bureau has forecast likely tornadoes particularly in my area. That wording of "particularly" has heightened my stress but I'm doing my best to think straight and asking the Lord for the wisdom to get needed things done, possible flying debris removed, etc.   "Lord willing and the creek don't rise" I'll be back with area updates when possible.

Sunshine - soil report here is 90% or higher already saturated and I do have some red clay and also blue clay pockets in my yard. Neighbors tractor once sank in their field during a rain event.

Thank you for the prayers Psycho. I'll keep your son in mine. Storm surge of up to 12 ft is forecast for areas along the northeast gulf coast. One entire county in the big bend area has mandatory evacuation started @ 8AM EDT this morning, partial evacuation in other counties.
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:38 am

Good luck and do what you can to stay safe.

I was once considering moving to Florida. But that was after there had been a long drought of hurricanes. Recent history made that thought vanish.

I don't care much for hurricanes, typhoons and tornadoes. I was raised with the latter. We get a lot of warnings around here about half of the year for them. And I've been through more than my share of the other two. So I'll just settle for dust storms in New Mexico, thank you very much.

Soundy

Post  Soundy on Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:33 am

Stay safe. 
    Have friends and family that went down for fall break with kids. They were told to leave 
    last night so are headed home.

I like a good thunderstorm. Crazy like that. But not tornadoes and hurricanes. Experienced one hurricane while 
    in Mobile at my grandparents and multiple tornadoes. Hurricane Fredric (1979) left an impression on me. Never want 
    to sit through another.. The tornadoes hit all around us and have gone over house more than once. My husbands cousin 
    lost her daughter when their house collapsed.They're  less than a mile from us. It's been 14 years but when they put out 
    warnings it is fresh.

Stay safe
    sinister_midget
    Admin

Post  sinister_midget on Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:52 am

I went through hurricane Fredric myself. I was stationed at Keesler AFB in Biloxi when it hit. Knocked the power out for 3 days.

Caught the edges of Bob, too. But that was was far enough away and weak enough that all we saw was a lot of rain and not too terrible winds.

Sunshine16

Post  Sunshine16 on Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:48 am

I don't like hurricanes or tornadoes. We do get them here but rare compared to other east coast cities. We bought this house with a basement because of my fear of tornadoes having grown up in MO.  We had a hail storm two years ago...OMG....it was pounding us so bad, tornado hit somewhere in the county that day but not too bad. I got a new roof on my new house...I got the color I wanted afterwards and got a new top on my patio as it was all chipped up.
    But hurricanes...I could never lived anywhere on the coast south of VA.
    I'm really worried for you lady, hope you are as prepared as you can be.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:09 pm